Privacy notice for volunteers
We need to keep information about you as part of our volunteer agreement; you won’t be able to volunteer with CAPS without giving us some information.
We need the information so we can fulfil our volunteering agreement and follow our policies and procedures.
We’ll record your contact information, date of birth, emergency contact, screening record, induction, skills, training and mentoring records, the length of and type of volunteering you do, and any references we issue on your behalf.
Your information will only be seen by CAPS staff who need to see it as part of their work, we may also sometimes have to pass on information if we believe you or another person might be at risk – for more information about this, please ask the Volunteer Co-ordinator for a copy of our Confidentiality Policy.
We’ll keep the information for the timescales below before securely destroying it: Contact information, date of birth, emergency contact – 1 month from the end of your volunteering with us;
Induction, skills, training and mentoring records – 6 months from the end of your volunteering with us;
Screening record – 5 years from the end of your volunteering with us;
Length of and type of volunteering – 50 years from the end of your volunteering with us;
References issued – 5 years from the date of issue.
You have the following rights about your information:
- the right of access – e.g. to ask for a copy;
- the right to rectification – e.g. to ask us to correct mistakes;
- the right to erasure – e.g. to ask us to destroy it if we can do so without affecting our legal compliance;
- the right to restrict processing – e.g. to ask us to stop using it for a period of time if you think we are doing something wrong;
- the right to raise concerns with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you think we are doing something wrong. ICO website: ico.org.uk
You can speak to the Peer Volunteer Development Worker about any of these rights, or for more details about how we manage information, please ask them for a copy of our Data Protection policy.